The site engineering manager will form part of the site management team reporting directly to the site director. The post holder will manage an engineering team of approx. 20 ensuring all maintenance of the site, machinery, equipment and buildings within cost budget levels and compliance. Adhering to company and statutory health, safety and environmental policies and legislation to ensure the maximum production efficiency.
- Engage as an active member of the senior leadership team to ensure the future success of the organisation, providing leadership and direction to the business
- Ensure that health, safety and environment of your team and any related duties within your responsibility including contractors and any work undertaken within your control
- Accountable for prioritising all day to day maintenance of machinery and equipment to ensure the efficiency of production is not affected
- Responsible for the integrity and maintenance of the fabrication of the site to include buildings and clear areas
- Lead and manage capital projects from design to machinery selection, installation and commissioning to improve overall effectiveness of plant and equipment
- Tightly control and monitor all costs relating to all engineering activities to include machinery parts, rental equipment, and labour to ensure they are within budget as well as best value being achieved without affecting quality
- Ensure utilities including water, gas. electricity, steam and effluent are closely monitored and managed to provide the most cost-effective usage without undermining production
- Responsible for the site being fully compliant with all environmental, health & safety legislation
- Supervise, develop and train all engineering staff to ensure individual progression and future needs of the company are met
- Effectively resolve staff issues, liaising with HR and operations as appropriate and ensuring timely communication up and down the line
- Formulate, implement and manage a strategy for engineering and maintenance that is in line with the overall strategic plans of the company
- Liaise with production to plan necessary maintenance activities and utilise engineering resource effectively by balancing cost and timescales with the least disruption to production
- Responsible for issuing and approving work completed by contractors
- Supporting the site director with other related duties as assigned
Skills, qualifications and experience:
- Solid experience of working in an FMCG food environment essential (ideally within high care food)
- Solid and demonstrable engineering management experience of sizeable teams
- Knowledge of basic engineering (electrical and mechanical) needs
- Rational thinking and sound judgement
- City & Guilds electrical and mechanical certificate
- Degree in manufacturing or engineering discipline (desirable)
- NEBOSH (desirable)
- Industrial hydraulic and pneumatics trained
- Knowledge of slicers, tumblers and multi-vacuums (desirable)
- Results orientated
- Demonstrable experience of developing positive and innovative team environments.
- Strong ability to proactively plan and prioritise
- Willingness to challenge the status quo in order to achieve a culture dedicated to continuous improvement and best practice
Proactive health and safety is a prerequisite to employment at Karro Foods. All roles have a responsibility to demonstrate commitment to the companies' health and safety goals, and as such it forms an essential component of all job descriptions, at all levels.
- Competitive salary
- 33 days holiday per year (including public holidays)
- Competitive contributory pension
- Life assurance scheme funded by Karro
- Private medical
- Company bonus scheme
At Karro we are dedicated to rewarding and enriching the careers of the people who work for us. If you are hardworking, willing to get involved and respond well to a challenging and fast-moving environment, then you will find Karro to be a well-matched employer who will support you at every turn and reward your dedication with support, development and long-term career prospects.
Karro is a leading producer of both fresh and cooked pork products with c. 4,500 employees over 14 sites across the UK and Ireland. The business supplies to retail, foodservice and manufacturing customers across the UK, as well as export customers globally. We have full production chain visibility and our pork is eaten by millions of consumers every year.
Karro is part of the Eight Fifty Group which with the acquisitions of Youngs and Greenland Seafood is now one of the UK's leading multi-protein food businesses, with sites across the UK, Republic of Ireland, Germany and France and sales of circa £1.9 billion.