Reporting to the site director you will be entirely accountable for production operations at the Hull site. You will be responsible for achieving operational profitability targets by leading, developing and motivating all personnel within factory operations. The prime focus of the role is to provide a safe and supportive working environment for the factory, producing the highest quality product on time and, in so doing, maximising efficiency and exceeding the profitability targets.
The role involves managing a large team to manufacture our frozen meat products in a way that achieves and exceeds quality specification, cost standards and full achievement of order to plan. In delivering these results, paramount importance is attached to ensuring the development of staff morale, development of processes and in achieving both environmental and safety standards.
Typical activities may vary from week to week and will change depending on the needs of the business. Activities will include:
- Ensuring the efficient and high quality delivery of the production plan across all lines, maximising yield and product quality whilst minimising downtime, accidents and waste
- Driving continuous improvement initiatives and managing performance through a KPI approach
- Ensuring that the environmental and health and safety standards are met at all times
- Managing the team equilibrium by clearly and consistently communicating business unit targets and process adherence
- Holding daily production target setting discussions with supervisors, focussing on production performance, quality, output, downtime and rework. Identifying actions to be taken to address line issues and ensure sustainable improvements
- Ensuring product traceability and taking responsibility for staff understanding of traceability requirements
- Ensuring understanding of roles, responsibilities and accountabilities for supervisors, and line staff
- Motivating and developing supervisors and staff through regular performance feedback and provision of all necessary training
- Administering the counselling, disciplinary and grievance procedure in line with HR guidelines and support
- Assigning responsibility for developing standards in line with the training team
- Contributing to senior leadership team meetings, feeding back all important information
- Ensuring the health and safety of all staff members, through strict adherence to health and safety procedures
Skills and experience:
- Track record of achievement in the production management within food manufacturing (ideally meat/protein)
- Considerable experience of managing operational teams in a very fast paced, pressurised environment
- Ability to develop a culture based on the continuous pursuit of best practice in manufacturing
- Ambition and true self-motivation. This is a demanding role with significant autonomy requiring high energy and considerable flexibility
- Excellent communicator and team motivator, able to influence, coach and support a team of supervisors to drive their shifts forward with a professional, enthusiastic attitude
- Determination and resilience to cope with setbacks and to manage difficult circumstances proactively and professionally and make confident considered decision
- Always striving for continuous improvement from a health and safety, output, quality and efficiency perspective
- A keen eye for quality with a strong knowledge of operating quality processes and systems
- Competitive salary
- 5.6 weeks holiday per year
- Competitive contributory pension
- Life assurance scheme funded by Karro
At Karro we are dedicated to rewarding and enriching the careers of the people who work for us. If you are hardworking, willing to get involved and respond well to a challenging and fast-moving environment, then you will find Karro to be a well-matched employer who will support you at every turn and reward your dedication with support, development and long-term career prospects.
Karro Food Group is a major UK food business, employing c. 5,000 people over 14 sites across the UK and Ireland and generating turnover of £1.2bn. Karro is a leading producer of both fresh and cooked meat products, and, following its recent acquisition of Young's Seafood, is now one of the UK's leading multi-protein food businesses. The business supplies to retail, foodservice and manufacturing customers across the UK, as well as export customers globally.