Group Head of Health & Safety
This is a business critical, exciting, challenging and rewarding position within a rapidly expanding business. It will provide a genuine opportunity to create business impact and put into practise a wealth of experience within health and safety. The purpose of the role is to ensure that the business is continuously improving and industry leading health and safety systems and behaviors are in place, whilst also ensuring that legal minimums are in place at all times. Whilst operating at a group leadership level, this person will also need to be operationally savvy. They will lead the development of the corporate agenda (using maturity models and annual plans) and standards, identifying and implementing best practice across the business.
It is essential that the successful applicant has operated at group strategic level previously and is able to demonstrate strong health and safety legal knowledge and its practical application within a similar risk profile business.
This role has a remit covering all Karro Group sites across the UK and Ireland and therefore will require regular travel between Karro sites and farming locations.
- Development, deployment and progression against the group priority plan, by site; engaging all stakeholders
- Ensuring implementation and continuous improvement of the group safety management system, and of a proactive safety culture
- Defines and delivers the annual plan of activity across the business to drive the desired Group culture and behavior's for health and safety
- KPIs, Safety Management System (SMS) governance and associated reports
- Functional coaching and development of the health and safety, and operational teams, sponsoring external training as required
- Coordination of the health and safety leadership team activity and focus
- Working with stakeholders to reduce risk to the business with regards to claims and legal exposure
- Interfacing effectively with stakeholders across all of our supply chain (including agriculture), at all levels and functions
- Is the "go-to" person for functional guidance
- NEBOSH Diploma (or equivalent)
- Solid experience of operating at a senior group multi-site level as a health and safety practitioner within a similar risk profile business (preferably within, but not limited to, the food industry)
- The ability to engage, influence and make personal impact across the business is critical to success, as well as being able to demonstrate appropriate leadership qualities for this level of role
- Tenacious and solutions driven
- High level of engineering risk and mitigation knowledge
- Experience and working knowledge of enforcement agencies e.g. Health & Safety Executive (HSE)
- Chartered membership of the Institute of Occupational Safety Health (CMIOSH) preferred (or working towards)
- Environmental qualification
- Competitive salary
- Car allowance
- Company bonus scheme
- Private medical cover
- 25 days holiday plus public holidays
- Competitive contributory pension
- Life assurance scheme funded by Karro
At Karro we are dedicated to rewarding and enriching the careers of the people who work for us. If you are hardworking, willing to get involved and respond well to a challenging and fast-moving environment, then you will find Karro to be a well-matched employer who will support you at every turn and reward your dedication with support, development and long-term career prospects.
Karro is a leading producer of both fresh and cooked pork products with c. 4,000 employees over 13 sites across the UK and Ireland. The business supplies to retail, foodservice and manufacturing customers across the UK, as well as export customers globally. We have full production chain visibility and our pork is eaten by millions of consumers every year.
Karro is part of the Eight Fifty Group which with the acquisitions of Youngs and Greenland Seafood is now one of the UK's leading multi-protein food businesses, with sites across the UK, Republic of Ireland, Germany and France and sales of circa £1.9 billion.
Proactive health and safety is a prerequisite to employment at Karro Foods. All roles have a responsibility to demonstrate commitment to the companies' health and safety goals, and as such it forms an essential component of all job descriptions, at all levels.