Health and Safety Manager
To be responsible for the implementation and maintenance of the health, safety and environmental management system for Karro food groups agricultural division. Whilst a stand-alone and responsible role the incumbent will also form part of the Group Health and safety team and will be required to satisfy group and local requirements for their area which incorporate the agricultural feed mill and our outdoor breeding farms.
Whilst the is role will be based at our Brydock offices, the incumbent will be required to travel regularly to farm sites and other Karro sites, across Perthshire, Scottish Borders, Fyfe and our head office in Malton, North Yorkshire.
- Create a safe place of work for your team and minimise the risk of accidents
- Complete and maintain on an ongoing basis all higher risk level risk assessments and higher risk safe systems
- Effectively and efficiently manage all the day to day HSE requirements for the feed mill and farms in your remit
- Provide the site director and senior managers with clear, practical advice and guidance on compliance with the management system and current HSE regulations
- Responsible for conducting HSE inductions to all new starters and contractors
- Manage contractors on a daily basis by verifying contractor's risk assessment and method statements and issuing permits to work
- Responsible for ensuring all safety checks are regularly carried out with regards to the provision and the use of work equipment regulations (PUWER) and the lifting operations and lifting equipment regulations (LOLER)
- Update register and notify our insurance company
- Responsible for ensuring the company meets the conditions and schedules of the Integrated Pollution Prevention and Control Permit (IPPC) category A
- Record, produce and review all statistics relating to near miss and actual accidents in order to implement improvements to safety standards, reduce accidents and incidents and effectively manage future accident claims
Essential skills, qualifications and experience:
- Health and safety background in agriculture or food manufacturing
- Thorough knowledge of health and safety regulations and legislation
- Professional diploma in safety, health and environmental management or equivalent
- Ability to work in an environment of constantly changing demands
- Effective experience of managing of costs and finances
Preferred skills, qualifications and experience
- HACCP Course
- Train the Trainer
- MSC Health and Environmental
Proactive health and safety is a prerequisite to employment at Karro Foods. All roles have a responsibility to demonstrate commitment to the companies' health and safety goals, and as such it forms an essential component of all job descriptions, at all levels.
- Competitive salary
- 30 days holiday per year (incl bank holidays)
- Competitive contributory pension
- Life assurance scheme funded by Karro
At Karro we are dedicated to rewarding and enriching the careers of the people who work for us. If you are hardworking, willing to get involved and respond well to a challenging and fast-moving environment, then you will find Karro to be a well-matched employer who will support you at every turn and reward your dedication with support, development and long-term career prospects.
Karro Food Group is a major UK food business, employing c. 5,000 people over 14 sites across the UK and Ireland and generating turnover of £1.2bn. Karro is a leading producer of both fresh and cooked meat products, and, following its recent acquisition of Young's Seafood, is now one of the UK's leading multi-protein food businesses. The business supplies to retail, foodservice and manufacturing customers across the UK, as well as export customers globally.