Health and Safety Manager
This will be a challenging, yet rewarding, role that will require a strategic but also very hands-on health and safety expert, who is capable of winning the confidence, and hearts and minds of a large and complex food manufacturing site, in order to embed the right behaviours and create a 'safety first' culture.
As part of the site leadership team and a broader group-wide health and safety team; you will direct, manage and monitor all aspects of health and safety, ensuring on-going compliance with external regulatory requirements and company policies and procedures. As well as managing one health and safety advisor.
- Create, maintain and improve the health and safety standards throughout the site
- Take responsibility for ensuring that safety legislation is followed
- Lead the site plan and implement, monitor and review protective and preventative measures
- Developing the internal health and safety policy
- Key to ensuring that policies and practices are adopted in order to minimize operational losses, occupational health problems, and accidents
- Negotiating with the management team and safety representatives to try to eliminate conflict between production and safety considerations
- Producing statistics and identifying key themes and trends for managers after reporting and analyzing accidents and near misses
- Facilitating team initiatives for improvement and idea sharing
- Delivering health and safety training
- Liaising with officials from regulatory authorities to ensure the organisation is compliant with mandatory regulations
Skills and experience:
- Demonstrable track record of achievement in a senior health and safety role, with a thorough knowledge of health and safety regulations and legislation
- Ambition and true self-motivation, the role requires high energy and flexibility
- Excellent communicator, with an engaging, motivational and professional attitude
- Logical thinker, with a systematic and consistent approach, with the courage of their convictions in order to challenge appropriately and where necessary
- Experience of proactively promoting best practise and successfully, engaging factory teams to make and accept change
- Experience of facilitating and leading team initiatives to drive improvement and ideation
- Professional diploma/or working towards a professional diploma in health and safety management or equivalent
- Ability to work in an environment of constantly changing demands
- Competitive salary
- 5.6 weeks holiday per year
- Competitive contributory pension
- Life assurance scheme funded by Karro
At Karro we are dedicated to rewarding and enriching the careers of the people who work for us. If you are hardworking, willing to get involved and respond well to a challenging and fast-moving environment, then you will find Karro to be a well-matched employer who will support you at every turn and reward your dedication with support, development and long-term career prospects.
Karro Food Group is a major UK food business, employing c. 5,000 people over 14 sites across the UK and Ireland and generating turnover of £1.2bn. Karro is a leading producer of both fresh and cooked meat products, and, following its recent acquisition of Young's Seafood, is now one of the UK's leading multi-protein food businesses. The business supplies to retail, foodservice and manufacturing customers across the UK, as well as export customers globally.
WE ARE NOT ENGAGING WITH AGENCY RECRUITERS FOR THIS VACANCY