Health Safety and Environment Manager
This will be a challenging, yet rewarding, role that will require a very hands-on health & safety expert, who is capable of winning the confidence, hearts and minds of our employees, to embed the right behaviours and create a 'safety first' culture. As part of the site management team and a broader group-wide health and safety team; you will direct, manage and monitor all aspects of health and safety, ensuring on-going compliance with external regulatory requirements and company policies and procedures.
- Provide support to the site management team to enable continuous improvement in health and safety standards throughout
- Working with the site management team and employees in order to help improve occupational health, safety and environment (OHSE) awareness in order that an effective contribution can be made by all employees thus ensuring the company's OHSE statement of intent is understood and followed at all times
- Assist in planning, implementation, monitoring and reviewing of protective and preventative measures, you will ensure that policies and practices are implemented to minimize operational losses, occupational health problems and accidents
- Provide the knowledge and skills to help generate a positive health and safety culture and to ensure that occupational risk is controlled
- Delivering health and safety training, coaching employees towards improved behavioral safety
- Negotiating with the management team and safety representatives to try to eliminate conflict between production and safety considerations
- Producing statistics and identifying key themes and trends for managers after reporting and analysing accidents and near misses
- Facilitating initiatives for improvement and idea sharing
- Liaising with officials from regulatory authorities to ensure the organisation is compliant with mandatory regulations
Skills and experience:
- Demonstrable track record of achievement in a senior health and safety role
- Experience from a manufacturing or production environment in order to be able to understand the needs of the factory operatives and production
- NEBOSH certificate
- Ambition and true self-motivation, the role requires high energy and flexibility levels
- Excellent communicator, with an engaging, motivational and professional attitude
- Logical thinker, with a systematic and consistent approach, with the courage of their convictions in order to challenge appropriately and where necessary
- Experience of proactively promoting best practise and successfully, engaging factory teams to make and accept change
- Active participant in team initiatives for improvement ideas
- Able to facilitate meetings and deliver health and safety training
- Ability to work in and cope with an environment of constantly changing demands
Proactive health and safety is a prerequisite to employment at Karro Foods. All roles have a responsibility to demonstrate commitment to the companies' health and safety goals, and as such it forms an essential component of all job descriptions, at all levels.
- Competitive salary
- 33 days holiday (incl public)
- Competitive contributory pension
- Private medical cover
- Life assurance scheme funded by Karro
At Karro we are dedicated to rewarding and enriching the careers of the people who work for us. If you are hardworking, willing to get involved and respond well to a challenging and fast-moving environment, then you will find Karro to be a well-matched employer who will support you at every turn and reward your dedication with support, development and long-term career prospects.
Karro is a leading producer of both fresh and cooked pork products with c. 4,000 employees over 13 sites across the UK and Ireland. The business supplies to retail, foodservice and manufacturing customers across the UK, as well as export customers globally. We have full production chain visibility and our pork is eaten by millions of consumers every year.
Karro is part of the Eight Fifty Group which with the acquisitions of Youngs and Greenland Seafood is now one of the UK's leading multi-protein food businesses, with sites across the UK, Republic of Ireland, Germany and France and sales of circa £1.9 billion.