Health & Safety Manager
This will be a challenging, yet rewarding, role that will require a very hands-on health safety expert, who is capable of winning the confidence, and hearts and minds of our employees, in order to embed the right behaviours and create a 'safety first' culture. As part of the site management team and a broader group-wide health and safety team; you will direct, manage and monitor all aspects of health and safety, ensuring on-going compliance with external regulatory requirements and company policies and procedures.
- Create, maintain and continuously improve the health and safety standards throughout the site
- Take responsibility for ensuring that safety legislation is followed
- Lead the site plan and implement, monitor and review protective and preventative measures
- Developing the internal health and safety policy
- Key to ensuring that policies and practices are adopted in order to minimize operational losses, occupational health problems, and accidents
- Negotiating with the management team and safety representatives to try to eliminate conflict between production and safety considerations
- Producing statistics and identifying key themes and trends for managers after reporting and analyzing accidents and near misses
- Facilitating initiatives for improvement and idea sharing
- Delivering health and safety training
- Liaising with officials from regulatory authorities to ensure the organisation is compliant with mandatory regulations
Skills and experience:
- Demonstrable track record of achievement in a senior health and safety role, with a thorough knowledge of health and safety regulations and legislation within the food industry (ideally protein)
- NEBOSH diploma and IOSH qualified
- Ambition and true self-motivation, the role requires high energy and flexibility
- Excellent communicator, with an engaging, motivational and professional attitude
- Logical thinker, with a systematic and consistent approach, with the courage of their convictions in order to challenge appropriately and where necessary
- Experience of proactively promoting best practise and successfully, engaging factory teams to make and accept change
- Experience of facilitating and leading team initiatives to drive improvement and ideation
- Ability to work in an environment of constantly changing demands
Proactive health and safety is a prerequisite to employment at Karro Foods. All roles have a responsibility to demonstrate commitment to the companies' health and safety goals, and as such it forms an essential component of all job descriptions, at all levels.
- Competitive salary
- 33 days holiday (incl public)
- Competitive contributory pension
- Private medical cover
- Life assurance scheme funded by Karro
At Karro we are dedicated to rewarding and enriching the careers of the people who work for us. If you are hardworking, willing to get involved and respond well to a challenging and fast-moving environment, then you will find Karro to be a well-matched employer who will support you at every turn and reward your dedication with support, development and long-term career prospects.
Karro Food Group is a major UK food business, employing c. 5,000 people over 14 sites across the UK and Ireland and generating turnover of £1.2bn. Karro is a leading producer of both fresh and cooked meat products, and, following its recent acquisition of Young's Seafood, is now one of the UK's leading multi-protein food businesses. The business supplies to retail, foodservice and manufacturing customers across the UK, as well as export customers globally.