This is a great opportunity to work with experienced in-house lawyers in a happy and well-liked team, within a business that is rapidly growing and expanding. It is an incredibly exciting time to be joining Karro Food Group, with a very wide range of work on offer. There is never a dull day and plenty of opportunity to learn and grow professionally within a supported environment.
The Legal Counsel will provide high quality legal support to the business within a small legal team, that has to cover the full range of legal issues that can arise across a large manufacturing group.
- Providing pragmatic and high quality legal advice to the business across a range of legal topics, both within your personal areas of legal specialism (e.g. commercial, corporate, property, construction, dispute resolution, employment, data protection, regulatory, IP) and more widely as you learn new legal areas from colleagues in the legal team to develop as a well-rounded in-house lawyer
- Building positive relationships based on trust with colleagues within the business, with a "can do", "everything is fixable", creative and solutions led, approach
- Acting as a facilitator, negotiator, mediator, whatever is necessary to help the business deliver, not being scared to step outside of your comfort zone
- Ability to prioritise and re-prioritise work based on commercial need, be flexible and move between legal areas quickly, as well as being able to step back and see the bigger picture, keep calm and cool-headed within a fast paced, dynamic environment
- Working with external legal counsel to ensure that any specialist legal work which needs to be outsourced is delivered in an effective and efficient way, on budget, on time and in a way that is really useful to the business. Often this will involve acting as "translator" / intermediary between external advisors and the business
- Delivering training on legal and compliance matters to the business and to colleagues in the legal team
- Sharing your technical legal knowledge with legal team colleagues, and being open and keen to learn new areas from them, so that we can all grow new skill sets and develop synergies as a team
- Being a team player who looks out for, supports, and promotes the legal team and colleagues within the business as a whole.
We are happy to consider solicitors at all levels of post qualified experience (PQE), for us the right attitude, approach and team-fit are more important than time on the clock in any particular area of law. As well as in-house lawyers being welcome, this could be a great and rare opportunity for a private practice business lawyer who wants a change of outlook to move in-house, and to really get under the skin of a business. This is a key strategic appointment for us, and we are looking for commitment, we seek a "keeper".
- Law degree
- Qualified English solicitor
- Must be on the Law Society roll with a clean SRA practising certificate
- Either in-house PQE experience, or law firm in a business related legal specialism
- Able to demonstrate strong technical legal skills (whether through academics or otherwise)
- Positivity, creativity and spark - flexible and quick thinking
- A positive and commercially pragmatic approach to legal advice
- Desire to learn and grow as a professional, and to help develop team colleagues
- Team player
- Must be comfortable with regular change (as the business grows and develops)
Preferable experience (but not required):
- Trained at a good quality law firm, or in-house in a respected team
- Work experience in-house or with close client relationships in a relevant sector (food industry / manufacturing, or non-food manufacturing, or food retail / FMCG)
- Specialisms that would be welcome: Corporate / M&A, Dispute Resolution, Employment, Commercial Contracts, Regulatory but will consider others, particularly if the skills are transferable
- Strong positive references
- If you are dual-qualified as a Scottish solicitor or an Irish solicitor, that would be an unexpected bonus
The role will be based at our Malton head office however, will involve occasional travel to other sites within the UK, Scotland and Ireland, or Europe.
We ideally would like someone full time 5 days a week, but appreciate that some people may need flexibility and we are therefore willing to consider part time hours for example: 4 days a week as a possibility.
- Competitive salary
- Car allowance
- Health Insurance
- 25 days holiday per year plus bank holidays
- Competitive Contributory Pension
- Life Assurance Scheme
At Karro we are dedicated to rewarding and enriching the careers of the people who work for us. If you are hardworking, willing to get involved and respond well to a challenging and fast-moving environment, then you will find Karro to be a well-matched employer who will support you at every turn and reward your dedication with support, development and long-term career prospects.
Karro Food Group are a major UK food business, employing c. 3,000 people across 7 sites UK-wide, and generating over £600m+ of turnover every year. Karro is a leading producer of bacon, gammon, fresh pork, frozen sausage, ham and cooked meats - we manage the entire production process "from field to fork". We supply our high quality meat products to retail, foodservice and manufacturing customers across the UK, as well as export customers around the world. Core to our beliefs as a business is continuous innovation; adapting our products and services to ensure we are an industry leading, forward thinking and flexible business.