Production Manager (Pig Finishing)
This is a unique opportunity to develop, structure and further build our industry leading pig finishing and growing division, to deliver competitive advantage for Karro Food Group and achieve a legacy of world class farming systems. The production manager will lead our highly experienced pig growing and finishing team to deliver against both short term performance requirements and long term developments and strategic direction. The incumbent will ensure that pigs are produced at the right weight and provided to the factory in the shortest possible time with the lowest feed cost per kilo of live-weight. This role will demand leadership and influence across a wide range of stakeholders and a range of farming facilities.
Regular travel will be required across the UK.
- Drive improvements in agricultural performance across Karro owned and partner farms to deliver improvements in key measures to meeting factory requirements and exceeding budget
- Identify opportunities to reduce cost and manage cost exposure: (Feed buying strategy, nutrition, straw, farmer costs, etc)
- Ensure that our farms and partner farms meet industry leading welfare policy
- Deliver high % of "raised without" treated pigs without compromising animal welfare
- Manage the growth pipeline of our own pigs; pig flow, farms and equipment, finishing spaces and the capability of people to deliver against our growth objectives
- Deliver the Karro feed strategy so that we can control and manage cost, nutrition and environmental impacts
- Manage relationships with external farmers to ensure that we partner with the best farmers in the industry and agree the appropriate contracting methods to incentivise both parties to deliver top-tier performance
- Deliver a welfare policy that is externally recognised as industry leading
- Become the "best in class" within the industry for responsible use of antibiotics
- Create a leadership position on environmental impact of pig farming using measures to deliver net zero
- Work with our partners in feed, farming and higher education to deliver industry leading research programmes
Skills, qualifications and experience:
- In-depth knowledge and experience of general agriculture, from working in farm production, procurement and performance related areas in a corporate business
- Qualification in agriculture, veterinary science, animal science or animal nutrition
- Proven commercial acumen with the ability to understand the potential business and financial impact of decisions made
- Possessing gravitas and credibility in order to effectively engage senior agricultural stakeholders, identify commercial opportunities and structure viable deals
- Strong track record of people management and development
- Ability to demonstrate leadership, and an ability to influence at all levels
- Effective time management and an ability to prioritize
Proactive health and safety is a prerequisite to employment at Karro Foods. All roles have a responsibility to demonstrate commitment to the companies' health and safety goals, and as such it forms an essential component of all job descriptions, at all levels.
- Highly competitive salary commensurate with experience
- Management bonus
- Car allowance
- 25 days holiday per year
- Competitive contributory pension
- Life assurance scheme funded by Karro
At Karro we are dedicated to rewarding and enriching the careers of the people who work for us. If you are hardworking, willing to get involved and respond well to a challenging and fast-moving environment, then you will find Karro to be a well-matched employer who will support you at every turn and reward your dedication with support, development and long-term career prospects.
Karro Food Group is a major UK food business, employing c. 5,000 people over 14 sites across the UK and Ireland and generating turnover of £1.2bn. Karro is a leading producer of both fresh and cooked meat products, and, following its recent acquisition of Young's Seafood, is now one of the UK's leading multi-protein food businesses. The business supplies to retail, foodservice and manufacturing customers across the UK, as well as export customers globally.