Quality Assurance Manager
Reporting to the technical manager the quality manager is a crucial interface between the technical manager and the quality assurance factory team and will lead the front line delivery of food safety and quality KPIs. This is a critical role ensuring that the site manufactures product which complies with food safety, quality, legal and customer codes of practice against the site's quality management system (QMS) requirements. The incumbent will also be required to deliver 'audit ready' standards and meet internal and external compliance targets reversing adverse trends.
- Manage the quality assurance (QA) team "audit ready" compliance "Healthchecks" and ensuring corrective actions from audits are implemented
- Drives daily GMP KPI's above target and develop GMP standards, work instructions and audit and verification support
- Participates in the HACCP team and development of the HACCP plan. Able to verify CCP controls and review procedures. Training front line staff in HACCP principles, CCP awareness and implementation. Support QA and operational teams in factory line CCP monitoring and control requirements.
- Working closely with technical and operational teams to manage the control of site allergens through effective segregation controls, cross contamination prevention and compliance with customer risk mitigation codes of practice
- Champion of factory process and food hygiene controls with excellent understanding of microbiology - interprets results, defines and implements action plans with food safety, hygiene and technical managers
- Ensuring line manufacturing specifications are adhered to through effective QA audit
- Champion and support daily customer sensory panels and QAS standards for the delivery of consistent quality of products
- Identify and investigate process and product non-conformances, assign corrective action responsibility and develop collaborative actions plans to redress adverse trends. Carry out risk assessments to support good decision making.
- Working closely with the TSM, TM, operational and training teams to ensure factory SOPs meet the requirements of the QSM at line level for food safety, quality and compliance
- A key contact and support on managing site visits from customers or audit bodies
- Chilled food industry experience (ideally meat, cooked or ready to eat products or multi component chilled foods) with demonstrable record/impact on audit success
- Proven track record as front line supervisor or manager in a technical or process development function
- Major retail multiple experience is ideally required and demonstrable proven track record in dealing with technologists from the major retailers
- Formal auditor training
- Knowledge of latest industry and retailer audit and compliance standards
- Listeria management best practice and microbiology in ready to eat foods (CCFRA/CFA)
- Can discuss, influence, motivate and engage and influence at all levels to obtain agreement to a course of action
- Effective, assertive and compelling communicator with mature thinking and approach
- Promotes team effectiveness
- BSc. food related subject or science degree with relevant food experience
- Ideally a trained coach with an understanding of situational leadership and team personal development, performance and selection
- Level 4 food safety and hygiene
- Trained in root cause analysis and basic SPC
- Level 3 HACCP
- Competitive salary
- Generous holiday allowance
- Competitive contributory pension
- Life assurance scheme funded by Karro
At Karro we are dedicated to rewarding and enriching the careers of the people who work for us. If you are hardworking, willing to get involved and respond well to a challenging and fast-moving environment, then you will find Karro to be a well-matched employer who will support you at every turn and reward your dedication with support, development and long-term career prospects.
Karro Food Group is a major UK food business, employing c. 5,000 people over 14 sites across the UK and Ireland and generating turnover of £1.2bn. Karro is a leading producer of both fresh and cooked meat products, and, following its recent acquisition of Young's Seafood, is now one of the UK's leading multi-protein food businesses. The business supplies to retail, foodservice and manufacturing customers across the UK, as well as export customers globally.