Taking responsibility for the implementation and continual development of a robust quality system that meets all codes of practice, legal requirements, customer requirements and the needs of the business. Working closely with production management to drive and improve good manufacturing practice, the role will take accountability for ensuring adherence to company food safety and hygiene procedures throughout the factory, and the effective management of the quality and compliance team to ensure that the highest standards of food safety of our products and processes are maintained and improved.
Reporting to the site technical lead, and deputising where appropriate. Liaising on a daily basis with production and engineering teams, as well as other disciplines where required, the role contributes to the profitability of the company by ensuring that all technical systems and processes on site, and all products produced, consistently conform with all relevant legislation and customer specifications. Nurturing positive relationships with both customers and external agencies and seeking at all times to identify opportunities and deliver solutions for continuous business improvement.
- Lead the quality team in "audit ready" compliance, ensuring corrective actions from audits are implemented
- Working closely and collaboratively with the site technical lead and site teams ensuring awareness of quality issues and encouraging two-way communication and problem solving
- Establishing a position as a key contact and promoter of quality excellence with our customers, external auditors and third-party agencies
- Coordinate the activities of quality and compliance team and provide direction and support as well as motivation, training, recruitment and selection for better performance and effective service
- Support the implementation of new initiatives, driving a best practice approach at all times, playing a significant role in continuous performance improvement (cost, quality and service)
- Support an improved level of technical understanding across the site, promoting a quality culture through continuous improvement, communication and coaching
- Take responsibility for ensuring product safety and quality management through the development and implementation of work procedures, codes of practice, control systems, operational parameters
- Establish and maintain effective quality management and HACCP systems
- Conduct quality assurance audits of all areas on a regular basis to verify compliance with the quality management system and customer specifications
- Prepare for and manage the BRC audit, including management of close-out actions to timescale
- Audit production departments to GMP standards and feedback issues to production creating and agreeing action plans to resolve issues
- Investigate all quality incidents, identifying causes and ensuring effective corrective actions
- Managing the relationship with enquiries from Government agencies (e.g. EHO, TSO, USDA)
- Manage customer and statutory product conformance and accreditation visits
- Advise management on quality implications in relation to new products or manufacturing processes
- Manage customer complaints, overseeing appropriate investigations and necessary follow up with suppliers
- Work with the production, despatch and intake functions coordinating samples and results reporting
- Provide key support in the event of any quality or food safety crisis, e.g. product recall
Skills, qualifications and experience:
- Solid experience with technical systems and standards combined with a strong track record of achievement managing quality or technical teams within FMCG manufacturing
- Has a passion for better food and is able to shape a culture of customer focus and product passion?
- Strong experience of customer and retailer systems
- food related subject or science degree with relevant food experience (desirable)
- Level 4 food safety and hygiene and level 4 HACCP (desirable)
- Strong, confident communication and influencing skills
- Leadership skills, with the ability to coach and manage a team
- Able to actively promote best practice and encourage factory teams to accept and make change, sharing ideas and encouraging others to generate ideas
- Able to work within an agreed established framework and cope with pressure
- Able to balance two different workloads - hands on work in the factory (identifying and making improvements) and working with the technical lead on systems, procedures and processes
- Strong conceptual and analytical skills, with the ability to take a logical and structured approach to decision making
- Tactical thought process, able to challenge convention and identify alternative ways of working
- Ability to facilitate meetings and deliver technical training
Closing Date: Friday 10th December
"Applications for this role will be considered immediately with a view to placing the right individual as soon as possible, so please register your interest early. Please note, the role may close in advance of the advertised closing date, which is for guidance only".
At Karro we are dedicated to rewarding and enriching the careers of the people who work for us. If you are hardworking, willing to get involved and respond well to a challenging and fast-moving environment, then you will find Karro to be a well-matched employer who will support you at every turn and reward your dedication with support, development and long-term career prospects.
Proactive health and safety is a prerequisite to employment at Karro Foods. All roles have a responsibility to demonstrate commitment to the companies' health and safety goals, and as such it forms an essential component of all job descriptions, at all levels.
Karro is a leading producer of both fresh and cooked pork products with c. 4,500 employees over 14 sites across the UK and Ireland. The business supplies to retail, foodservice and manufacturing customers across the UK, as well as export customers globally. We have full production chain visibility and our pork is eaten by millions of consumers every year.
Karro is part of the Eight Fifty Group which with the acquisitions of Youngs and Greenland Seafood is now one of the UK's leading multi-protein food businesses, with sites across the UK, Republic of Ireland, Germany and France and sales of circa £1.9 billion.