Site HR Lead
This is a unique opportunity to lead a sizeable HR team in the provision of an effective HR service to a very large and complex food processing site, supporting all factory functions and covering 1500 colleagues. You will work closely with the site director, with the support of our group HR director and as part of the leadership team, to develop the current HR team and HR service ensuring that it is structurally and procedurally sound and fully integrated into site operations.
The role is responsible for all site HR activities including employee and industrial relations, adherence to company and statutory policies ad procedures, management of the site recruitment strategy and process, employment law, management of agency labour and of outsourced provisions (canteen and occupational health).
- Leadership and management of a large and busy HR team to ensure clear direction and an effective and cost-efficient service to site as an integrated part of the site operational team
- Change management - working with the site teams to fully understand the operations, structure, shift patterns, work practices, benefits and pay grades and what changes could be made to help improve operational efficiency, simplification, increased levels of engagement and strategic improvement
- Industrial relations - ensure an effective working relationship with the recognized union (USDAW), managing the collective bargaining and grievance processes, keeping the HR director fully informed of any current or potential issues
- Employee relations - provide an accessible and professional HR function where by employee queries and issues are resolved in an appropriate, timely and legally compliant manner, minimizing risk of litigation and improving communications
- Supporting line managers to ensure the adherence and fair application of disciplinary and grievance procedures on site
- Labour planning, recruitment and selection, and agency management
- Ensure group and site HR policies and procedures are communicated, implemented and updated on site in a timely and effective manner
- Implementing absence management techniques and fair and consistent policy across site, ensuring adequate reporting and monitoring methods
- Ensure a full understanding of the ethical requirements on site, including Sedex and Smeta audits and ensure the site is compliant and audit ready
- Ensuring all statutory training requirements are identified and implemented all roles and colleagues on site, ensuring training is adequately undertaken and recorded by the relevant trainers
- Effectively supporting line managers in effectively monitoring and improving performance and ensuring development plans are in place where needed
- Providing adequate and appropriate advice to line managers, covering all aspects of HR and coaching through difficult or unfamiliar situation, minimising risk for the business
- Site payroll management for hourly paid colleagues
- Ensuring a sound understanding of HR requirements for customer, technical and BRC audits in order that HR records are maintained and produced to satisfy audit requirements
Skills, qualifications and experience:
- Proven experience in a generalist HR management role supporting a medium to large scale site and leading a sizeable HR team in a fast paced and pressurised environment
- Experience of advising line managers across a full range of HR activities, whilst keeping focus on business outcomes
- Desire and motivation for change and continuous improvement
- Proven skills in people development - coaching and influencing managers
- Sound and up to date knowledge of employment law
- Demonstrated ability to work within a unionised environment
- Ability to effectively manage conflict
- Ability to manage a number of priorities, determine order and ensure delivery
- Self-motivated, flexible and adaptable
- Resilient and able to remain calm and in control in a fast-paced, pressured and changeable environment
Proactive health and safety is a prerequisite to employment at Karro Foods. All roles have a responsibility to demonstrate commitment to the companies' health and safety goals, and as such it forms an essential component of all job descriptions, at all levels.
- Highly competitive salary commensurate with size of the site and scope of the role
- 33 days holiday per year (including public holidays)
- Competitive contributory pension
- Life assurance scheme funded by Karro
At Karro we are dedicated to rewarding and enriching the careers of the people who work for us. If you are hardworking, willing to get involved and respond well to a challenging and fast-moving environment, then you will find Karro to be a well-matched employer who will support you at every turn and reward your dedication with support, development and long-term career prospects.
Karro Food Group is a major UK food business, employing c. 5,000 people over 14 sites across the UK and Ireland and generating turnover of £1.2bn. Karro is a leading producer of both fresh and cooked meat products, and, following its recent acquisition of Young's Seafood, is now one of the UK's leading multi-protein food businesses. The business supplies to retail, foodservice and manufacturing customers across the UK, as well as export customers globally.