Site Service Engineer
To work as part of the engineering team to manage the maintenance of all site services onsite at our Malton meat processing plant. Carrying out engineering maintenance service activities and ensuring maximum operational effectiveness from the equipment and facilities, through the introduction of new systems and procedures which will improve the competitiveness of the company and ensure a physical environment fit for manufacturing quality food products in compliance with current health & safety legislation. The site services engineer will need to balance team skills with a hands-on practical approach to engineering issues on site.
Shift pattern: 4on4off 5.30am - 5.30pm DAYS OR NIGHTS
Typical activities may vary from week to week but will include:
- Maintaining and developing the building, environment and plant to ensure a safe working environment for all staff and visitors.
- This will include the heating, ventilation, fire protection equipment, pipework & plumbing, alarm systems, and security systems managing the day to day water treatment plant
- Carrying out boiler checks
- Supporting the engineering team to encourage flexibility and cross functional skills. Instilling a 'fix it right first time' attitude
- Improving efficiencies and costs of equipment maintenance to agreed levels through targeted analysis, development and delivery of performance improvement plans
- Establishing agreements with key suppliers and contractors. This will include identification of appropriate providers, feasibility studies, arranging insurance and ensuring best practice on site
- Ensuring all statutory inspections (including portable appliance testing, mains testing and pressure vessels) are managed and records are maintained in line with current legislation
- Developing and applying routine and regular maintenance plans as required
- Identifying opportunities for energy saving and ensuring these are embraced site-wide
- Other responsibilities as reasonably requested in support of the site services engineering supervisor
- Mechanical and electrical engineering qualifications and experience, ideally apprenticeship qualified
- Compressors and generator experience - essential
- Refrigeration experience - essential
- Water treatment/effluent experience - working knowledge
- Boiler checks/feed water/feed water dosage experience - working knowledge
- Strong organisational skills with an ability to balance a varied workload and re-prioritise in response to changing business needs and unexpected engineering problems
- Experience of working within a fast moving pressurised manufacturing environment
- Evidence of trouble-shooting and fault diagnosis
- Must be driven and enthusiastic with a passion for engineering maintenance
- Highly professional and able to deal with issues unaided
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to build excellent working relationships
- Competitive salary
- 22 days holiday
- Competitive Contributory Pension
- Life Assurance Scheme funded by Karro
At Karro we are dedicated to rewarding and enriching the careers of the people who work for us. If you are hardworking, willing to get involved and respond well to a challenging and fast-moving environment, then you will find Karro to be a well-matched employer who will support you at every turn and reward your dedication with support, development and long-term career prospects.
Karro Food Group is a major UK food business, employing c. 5,000 people over 14 sites across the UK and Ireland and generating turnover of £1.2bn. Karro is a leading producer of both fresh and cooked meat products, and, following its recent acquisition of Young's Seafood, is now one of the UK's leading multi-protein food businesses. The business supplies to retail, foodservice and manufacturing customers across the UK, as well as export customers globally.